Anytime you bite into something overwhelmingly spicy, your first instinct is usually to hurry and reach for the milk. While an ice cold glass of milk gives relief, it just doesn’t hit the same as a bite of ice cream, melting slowly into your tastebuds. But why not hack the heat, confuse your tastebuds and elevate the flavor by combining the creamy dairy element and hot and spicy into one mind blowing dessert?
We want to show you how sweet and spicy can come together for a loving relationship in this candied Thai chili pepper rolled ice cream.
First we tossed our chili peppers into a hot pan of simple syrup, letting it all marinate and harden before we crushed it up into bite sized little morsels. Combine that into a thinly layered baking sheet of your homemade ice cream base, let it freeze overnight, and roll it right up for a mouth tingling treat that cuts through the heat.
Check out the recipe below, add your own personal flair to it, and start hacking the heat of your favorite spicy foods.
Spicy Rolled Ice Cream
1 pint Heavy Cream
1 can Sweetened Condensed Milk
Thai Chilis (as many as you desire)
- For candied Thai Chilis, mix equal amounts of sugar and water into a pan on high heat until the sugar turns an amber color
- Once the sugar starts to brown, cut the heat and mix in the chilis
- Pour the mixture onto a silicone mat or parchment paper and set aside to harden. Typically takes an hour to fully set.
- Once the candied Thai Chilis have set, break the candy up to pulverize in a food processor. Set aside.
- For the ice cream base, mix 1 pint of heavy cream with 1 can of sweetened condensed milk and a pinch of salt and whisk together until combined.
- Pour a thin layer of the ice cream base onto a frozen sheet pan and sprinkle the candied chili crumb evenly on top.
- Pop in the freezer overnight.
- When ready to consume, use a flat spatula to scrape the ice cream into little rolled logs off the sheet pan.
- Enjoy your sweet, creamy and spicy ice cream!
Created in partnership with Undeniably Dairy.