Let's get real. Everyone remembers waking up on a Sunday morning as a kid to the smell of your dad's homemade pancakes. No restaurant-made breakfast can top that. So whip up these Whole Wheat Buttermilk Pancakes with Strawberry Maple Syrup from The Saturday Evening Post. We're sure the fam/boo/roomies will adore you for it.
Whole Wheat Buttermilk Pancakes with Strawberry Maple Syrup
Yields: 6 servings -- 12 pancakes
- ¾ cup pure maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons finely grated orange peel (from 1 orange)
- ½ vanilla bean, halved lengthwise
- 2 cups fresh strawberries, cored and quartered
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup whole-wheat flour
- ½ cup instant oats
- 3 tablespoons caster sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cups 1 percent low-fat buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ½ cup sliced almonds, toasted
To make syrup:
1) In heavy medium saucepan, combine maple syrup and orange zest.
2) Scrape seeds from vanilla bean into syrup then add bean.
3) Bring syrup to boil over high heat.
4) Remove saucepan from heat and stir in strawberries.
5) Cover and set aside off heat for 15 minutes.
6) Before serving, rewarm syrup over medium-low heat just until hot but not simmering, if necessary. Discard vanilla bean.
To make pancakes:
1) In large bowl, whisk all-purpose flour, whole-wheat flour, oats, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt to blend.
2) In medium bowl, whisk buttermilk, eggs, and oil to blend.
3) Pour buttermilk mixture into flour mixture and stir with wooden spoon just until moist but still lumpy.
4) Heat large nonstick griddle pan or heavy large nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Spray pan with nonstick spray.
5) Using about ⅓ cup of batter for each pancake, spoon batter onto griddle and cook until pancakes are golden brown and puffed, 2 to 3 minutes per side.
6) Wipe griddle or skillet with paper towels and spray with nonstick spray before cooking each batch of pancakes.
7) Transfer pancakes to plates.
8) Top with butter and spoon strawberries and syrup over pancakes. Sprinkle with almonds and serve immediately.