The birth of the margarita is much disputed. There are various origin stories, stretching from the 1930’s to the 1960’s, but lost among these wildly specific theories is the fact that the margarita may simply be a variation of a Prohibition-era drink, The Daisy.
The two drinks are remarkably similar– the only difference is that the margarita swaps out The Daisy’s brandy for tequila. In fact “margarita” is the Spanish word for “daisy.” So oddly enough, regardless of the true genesis of the margarita’s journey to stardom, it’s likely that it may have been a result of someone playing with the recipe of an already popular drink.
The lesson here, my friends, is that good things can always be improved upon. Inspired by this ideal, our latest recipe, in collaboration with Bud Light Seltzer, is our own twist on the margarita.
Keeping the essence of fruit in mind, we swapped out the traditional orange-flavored triple sec for a Bud Light Strawberry seltzer. This creates a smoother drinking experience, mellowing out the tequila enough to give consistent, well-rounded sips.
We also threw in some frozen strawberries, which helps the drink blend into a fluid, almost creamy, consistency, while giving things a refreshing edge that compliments the acidity of the lime.
With a rim of chili lime seasoning, and a fresh strawberry to garnish, this drink will certainly make me head to the fridge for a seltzer and some frozen strawberries the next time I get a craving for a margarita.
Check out the full recipe below, and, if you’re in California, make sure to enter iHeartRadio and Budlight Seltzer’s sweepstakes, which could land you a $500 gift card to one of your local Hispanic grocery stores. Click here to enter.
Iceberg Strawberry Margarita
- 1 cup frozen strawberries
- 1 cup ice
- 2 oz tequila
- 2 oz fresh squeezed lime juice
- 2 tbsp agave
- 1 can Bud Light Seltzer Strawberry
- Chili Lime Seasoning for garnish
- Fresh lime & strawberry for garnish
- Prepare 2 glasses with a chili lime rim using lime juice.
- In a blender, combine frozen strawberries, ice, tequila, lime juice and agave and blend until smooth.
- Divide Bud Light Seltzer Strawberry into prepared glasses. Slowly pour blended margarita into the glasses. Garnish with a lime round and strawberry.
Created in partnership with Bud Light.