What makes Korean Corn Dogs so much fun is that special yeasted batter as the crust, which allows you to stick pretty much anything that you can fry to make the dogs look extra special.
Typically, this is done with ingredients like potatoes. Foodbeast Chris took it a step further and studded his take on a Korean Corn Dog with SPAM® Classic.
This means that he incorporated some unique ingredients into making these Korean corn dogs, including quail eggs for the batter and two different sauces that played to the ingredients both chefs used. Those sauces were caviar ketchup, and an aioli featuring yuzu koshō, a fermented, citrusy, and spicy Japanese condiment.
While the inside of the corn dogs had both cheese and SPAM® Classic, it was the crispy studs of SPAM® Classic on the outside that made this one special.
To make your own take on Chris's SPAM® Classic Studded Korean Corn Dogs, peep the recipe below.
- 2 cups bread flour
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 pkg instant yeast
- 3/4 cup water
- 3 quail eggs
Corn Dog Components
- 2 cans of SPAM® Classic
- 1 8 ounce block of low-moisture mozzarella
- 8 ounces of frozen French fries
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 oz caviar
Yuzu Kosho Aioli
- 1 cup Japanese mayo
- 1 Tbsp yuzu kosho
Make the batter
- Combine flour, sugar, salt, and yeast in a bowl.
- Combine water and beaten quail eggs in a separate bowl.
- Combine all ingredients, and knead.
- Get into a warm place to proof for about 1-2 hours.
Make the condiments
- Combine caviar and ketchup together to make your caviar ketchup.
- Combine your mayo and yuzu koshō together to make your yuzu koshō aioli.
- Add each sauce to separate squeeze bottles for serving.
Prep your corn dogs
- Bring a pot of oil up to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cut frozen French fries into tiny cubes, about a quarter to a half of an inch long.
- Cut the SPAM® Classic studs into similar-sized pieces to the fries.
- Season the Panko bread crumbs with salt and pepper.
- Cut SPAM® Classic and mozzarella into 2-inch long rectangles, about a half-inch wide and tall.
Assemble and cook
- Skewer together one piece of each of your SPAM® Classic and mozzarella rectangles.
- Roll your corn dogs in the proofed batter, then stud with the cubes of fries and SPAM® Classic.
- Dust with a light sprinkling of Panko bread crumbs.
- Fry in your oil until golden brown on all sides, about 5 minutes.
- Drain on a paper towel, and serve with your sauces, either on the side or drizzled on your corn dogs.