While some of us attend Super Bowl parties to watch the actual game, most of us know why we're really there: the commercials and the food. Wings, beer, and lots of yummy dips are staples at every event. Certainly, if it's not broke, don't fix it, but if you can make it better, well, you better (heh heh). So this year, blow your friends' minds and taste buds by showing up on game day with a seven layer dip that is nothing but dessert.
Check out the recipe for the dip and cinnamon-sugar tortilla chips below:
Seven Layer Dessert DipIngredients “Guacamole” adapted from How Sweet Eats
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1T butter, softened
- 2 1/2c powdered sugar, sifted
- pinch salt
- 1/2c heavy whipping cream
- 1/4c plus 2T Nutella
- 4oz cream cheese, room temp
- 5oz Cool Whip
- 1/4c sour cream
- 1 1/4c strawberries, chopped and divided
- 1/2T sugar
- 3/4c coconut (shredded or flaked up to you)
- orange food dye
- yellow food dye
- 1/3c Jet-Puffed Mallow Bits Marshmallows (they look like the kind I eat out of the hot chocolate mix)
- green food dye
- 1/2c mini Oreos, quartered
- Cream together avocado and softened butter. Add pinch of salt and powdered sugar and mix until combined. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Whip cream until stiff peaks form. In separate bowl, cream together ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons Nutella and 4 ounces cream cheese, then fold in whipped cream until no streaks are visible. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Stir together Cool Whip and sour cream. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Wash, hull, and chop strawberries to measure 1 and ¼ cups. In medium bowl, mush 1/2c of strawberries, until pretty pulverized. Stir in remaining 3/4c chopped strawberries and ½ tablespoon of sugar. Drain the bit of liquid that it creates before layering the strawberries onto the dip.
- In a small bowl, stir together ¾ cups coconut and food coloring — start with a bit of orange and add a bit of yellow. Adjust as needed until it resembles the color of cheddar cheese.
- In a small bowl, stir together 1/3 cup mallow bits and green food coloring (just a drop or two). Full disclosure: it’s not going to work out the greatest. You will get little green spots all over your mallows and that’s it. But I think this step is worth it; even the little bit of color on the mallows really makes them pop.
- Chop mini Oreos in quarters and measure out ½ cup.
Here it all is, unassembled:Assembly: Layer your dip in a 7x11 glass baking dish. Spread avocado buttercream on bottom on dish. Spread the nutella mixture on top of that, and then spread the Cool Whip/sour cream combo on top of that. Then layer on the strawberries. Sprinkle the coconut over the strawberries. Then top with mallow bits and Oreos.
Cinnamon Sugar Tortilla Chips
- 12oz of your favorite tortilla chips
- 2T Canola oil
- 1t cinnamon
- 6T Sugar
- Combine cinnamon and sugar in a small bowl.
- Pour half of the bag of chips, half of the oil, and half of the cinnamon sugar into a brown bag and shake until the chips are coated. Pour the coated chips into a serving bowl. Repeat with the remaining ingredients. Then dig in.
Great Odin's Raven, this is drop-the-mic amazing. Like, ah-ah-amazing. I can promise you that people will have a hard time believing that it's not a regular seven layer dip... until they bite into the Oreos on top.