Doing waffles as the base to a sandwich is already a dope move. Make those waffles into kimchi cheese waffles, or "chaffles," and you're in for a savory, cheesy, oozy sandwich experience.
Foodbeast friend and chef Cody Storts made these waffles when he stopped into the Foodbeast Kitchen a while back for a cooking stream on Twitch. His full creation? The Ribeye Bulgogi Chaffle Sandwich, featured bulgogi-marinated ribeye steak, kimchi slaw, gochujang mayo, and the aforementioned cheese waffles.
While there's flavor packed into every component through kimchi, gochujang, and more, the star is definitely those cheese waffles that crown the outside. Together with the sweet, savory ribeye and the freshness of the kimchi, you get one epic sandwich that's as messy as it is delicious.
The recipe to make the Ribeye Bulgogi Chaffle Sandwich is below for those who wish to make their own version.
- 1 16 oz package of mozzarella cheese
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup finely chopped kimchi
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 12 oz ribeye steaks
- 1 cup Korean soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- ¼ cup rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons minced ginger
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- ¼ cup white sugar
- 1 tablespoon gochugaru
- 1 cup roughly chopped green onion
- 2 cups thinly sliced cabbage
- 1 cup thinly sliced carrot
- 1 cup roughly chopped kimchi
- 1 cup green onion
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup mayo
- 1 tablespoon gochujang
- 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Gochugaru (Korean chili powder) for garnishing
- Sesame seeds for garnishing
- Marinate your steaks in all of the marinade ingredients for at least 20 minutes, or overnight.
- Remove excess marinade from the steaks and sear on high heat in a frying pan with sesame oil. Cook to medium-rare, then let rest.
- Combine your cabbage, carrot, kimchi, green onion, sugar, sesame oil, and rice wine vinegar to make your slaw. Season to taste.
- Combine your mayo, gochujang, a tablespoon of gochugaru, and sugar. Add the zest and juice from your lime, and mix well. Season to taste.
- Preheat the waffle iron and grease it. Mix together chopped kimchi, shredded mozzarella, and eggs to make your cheese waffle mix. Season with salt and pepper.
- Fill the waffle iron with your mixture, and cook until golden brown, about 3-4 minutes. You’ll need to do this twice to get two waffles.
- Add one cup of your steak marinade to a pan, and bring to a boil so it reduces to a glaze. Slice your ribeye and toss it through the cooked glaze.
- Assemble your sandwich: start with a cheese waffle base, then add your steak, the kimchi slaw, the gochujang mayo, and a sprinkle of gochugaru and sesame seeds on top. Crown with your final waffle, and dig in!