According to the 2015-2020 Dietary Guidelines for Americans, it’s recommended that people consume 2.5 cups of vegetables a day, a goal that almost 9 out of 10 Americans are failing to meet. One of the greatest dilemmas college students and recent grads face is eating a more balanced diet without breaking the bank. How do I incorporate healthful ingredients into my diet while finding the time to cook food that will taste good?
In actuality, reaching your daily intake of vegetables doesn’t have to be painful, even mini pizza lollipops can get you one step closer. New research suggests adding canned tomatoes may be an easy way to help people meet their #veggiegoals. And lucky for us, this Huevos Rancheros breakfast bowl recipe is not only a perfect way to utilize Hunt’s tomato sauce, but also provides a base in which a multitude of vegetables can be added.
This recipe calls for onions, cilantro, lettuce, corn and avocado as additional vegetables, however there are endless options of vegetables that can be added to your own bowl. Also, this dish is perfect as a “DIY: build your own bowl” brunch potluck where your friends can bring their favorite vegetable to share with the group.
Here it is: a Veggie-Packed Huevos Rancheros Breakfast Bowl.
Huevos Rancheros Breakfast Bowls
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
Servings: 3 tortilla bowls
- 21-oz. Hunt's tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion
- ½ tablespoon ground chipotle peppers
- 3 eggs
- 3 10-inch whole wheat tortillas
- PAM Original Cooking Spray
- ½ avocado, thinly sliced (optional)
- 1 cup black beans, rinsed and drained (optional)
- 1 cup corn, rinsed and drained (optional)
- ¼ cup cilantro (optional)
- ¼ cup sour cream (optional)
- 1 head, lettuce, rinsed and chopped (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 375ºF.
2. Roughly chop onion. Heat the vegetable oil in a skillet over medium high heat and sauté onion until translucent, about 5 minutes.
4. Pour in the Hunt’s tomato sauce. Simmer for 10 minutes.