The news has brought joy to many, including Foodbeast's Chris Abouabdo, who decided to make his own take on the Mexican Pizza as a tribute to its return.
With so many fast food chains jumping on the plant-based hype train, its only fitting that Chris made a vegan version that anyone can enjoy. His take, which brings in plant-based meat and cheese and a custom enchilada sauce, checks all of the Taco Bell flavor boxes but offers up the opportunity to skip the meat.
Maybe Chris's recipe will one day be the blueprint for Taco Bell's own plant-based Mexican Pizza. In the meantime, here's how to make your own iteration.
- 1 lb vegan ground beef (we opted for Beyond Meat, but use your favorite)
- 1 package Taco Bell Original Taco Seasoning Mix
- 3/4 cup water
Note: this can be swapped with canned enchilada sauce if you prefer.
- 10 dried guajillo chilies
- 2 dried pasilla chilies
- 4 cups water
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 onion
- 1 can tomato sauce
- Salt to taste
Other Pizza Ingredients
- 1 can refried beans
- 4 corn tortillas
- Oil for frying
- 2 tbsp vegan butter
- 1 package vegan shredded yellow cheese (ie. cheddar)
- 1 package vegan shredded white cheese (ie. mozzarella)
- Fresh chopped tomatoes for garnishing
- Add the vegan meat to a preheated skillet, and cook until browned.
- Sprinkle in the taco seasoning and water, then bring to a boil and simmer low for 10 minutes.
- Fry off the beans in vegan butter and a splash of water to keep them loose.
- Boil your chilies in water until softened, then add to a blender with the remaining sauce ingredients. Blend, and add a splash of the chili cooking water to loosen if needed. Season to taste.
- Fry your corn tortillas in oil at 350 degrees Fahrenheit until fully crispy. Keep warm in an oven until the whole batch is done.
- Assemble your Mexican pizza: Lay a fried tortilla down on a baking sheet and top with beans, then meat, then another tortilla, then sauce, then your vegan cheese. Use both white and yellow cheese to keep things authentic.
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit until the cheese is melted.
- Remove from the oven and top with chopped tomatoes.